Saturday, June 3, 2017

Thexus1 vs Doomshaper2, Scenario SR 2017: Standoff

1. Lists

My list is the default Thexus build with all the drudges you can put on the list, I believe that a 2" push plus a TK plus sprays that ignore everything will be good in SR 2017, therefore after playing Cygnar for 3 years I decided to give this some table time:

Mercenary Army - 75 / 75 points
[Theme] Operating Theater

(Thexus 1) Exulon Thexus [+29]
 - Wrecker [14]
 - Wrecker [14]
Cephalyx Agitator [3]
Cephalyx Agitator [3]
Cephalyx Mind Bender & Drudges (max) [11]
Cephalyx Mind Bender & Drudges (max) [11]
Cephalyx Mind Bender & Drudges (max) [11]
Cephalyx Mind Slaver & Drudges (max) [12]
Cephalyx Mind Slaver & Drudges (max) [12]
Cephalyx Mind Slaver & Drudges (max) [12]
Cephalyx Overlords [0(8)]
Cephalyx Overlords [0(8)]

My opponent is playing Doomie2, I play against trolls once every other month, so I do not know too much about them in MK3, and this is going to be bad:

Trollbloods Army - 75 / 75 points
[Theme] The Power of Dhunia

(Doomshaper 2) Hoarluk Doomshaper, Rage of Dhunia [+27]
 - Earthborn Dire Troll [15]
 - Mountain King [36]
 - Mulg the Ancient [19]
 - Storm Troll [9]
 - Troll Axer [10]
 - Trollkin Runebearer [0(4)]
Northkin Shaman [0(4)]
Northkin Shaman [0(4)]
Stone Scribe Chronicler [4]
Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes (max) [9]

2. Pre-game thoughts

  • I have no idea what the list in front of me can do, crap.
  • I need to kill the mountain king as soon as I can, 
  • Adrenal flood is going to be really important for killing the troll heavies, I can have the drudges kill heavies and then have the heavies finish the job.

3. Rounds:

Turn 0:

I get to go second, and the board is mostly symmetrical. I choose the side with the less amount rough terrain.

I always deploy this list the same way: unit of mind bender, unit of mind slaver, unit of mind bender, unit of mind slaves and unit of mind bender.

This way any unit of mind slaves can get 6 adrenal floods easily, also when a unit ambushes I can move a unit of mind benders on the side of the table to adrenal flood them and threaten 15" from the side of the board (3" for deployment, 5+3 for charge and 4" for adrenal flood ).

Turn 1:

His stuff runs forward, my stuff runs forward. I try to not leave a lane for his heavies to overtake by killing my drudges but I also want to make it hard for Mulg to run into my face.


End of my turn 1, Everything has run forward. 




Turn 2:

He tramples the earthborn forward, puts his animus up (no pushes) and kills one drudge. His mountain king comes forward and then sprays my agitators, I lose one due to bad placement. His storm troll kills another drudge.

End of his turn 2. 

There is nothing to get with my feat, I need to TK the earthborn out of the stone and far from the obstruction so I can kill it with adrenal flooded drudges. I choose to ambush a unit on the left side since I feel that I can hold that zone for a while.

I realize I made a huge mistake on my deployment, I should have had the mind slaver unit in front of the mountain king with mind benders to both sides, however, it only has one unit of mind benders within range. This means I will only get 1 wrecker and 3 adrenal flooded drudges, this is really dicey: 3 pow 16 at dice - 5 should be 18 damage, and then the wrecker with a free charge should be 29 points of damage, which means that I only do 47 points and I leave it 9 or so. If I had gotten three more drudges it would be overkilled by 9. 

I also forget that I could have charged through my objective with the other Wrecker. If I had done so I would have killed the mountain king and gone harder for my right zone, getting away from Mulg.

I go about with the best plan I can come up with and kill the Earthborn and leave the mountain king on 10 boxes. This is bad!

End of my turn 2.

Turn 3:
Mulg has a line to Thexus, I was expecting it to charge far, but not 14" far (I should have premeasured but I wanted Thexus within 10" of the mountain king), plus overtake for an extra inch and he only needs to overtake one time. My opponent goes for it and kills me with his last attack.

The Cephalyx lose!

4. Post-game:

  1. If I had chosen the other side, I could have put Thexus behind a forest, but I don't think it would have mattered too much.
  2. The huge mistake was going second and not putting the unit of mind benders close to the unit of mind slaves close to the mountain king. 
  3. Forgetting I can charge through my objective to kill the mountain king was a huge thing too. 
  4. Leaving an overtake lane to Thexus was bad, but as my opponent said: "If I don't have that, I just kill both your wreckers", which is true. 
  5. It is great that Thexus can sack sprays!
  6. I am amazed at how much armor cracking we can do with only the drudges, the wreckers can be kept back and by the time they go up, nothing important should be hard to kill at that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment