Friday, June 2, 2017

Caine3 vs Aikos2, Scenario: SR 2017 - Breakdown

1. Lists

Since Caine3 is going to be in ADR, I decided to give him some table time. I am playing a version of Caine3 with a lot of Chargers (8), I copied said list from Keith Christianson, a co-host of Muse on Minis, who played it this past weekend at MoMCon.

Cygnar Army - 75 / 75 points
[Theme] Heavy Metal

(Caine 3) Caine's Hellslingers [+20]
 - Ace [12]
 - Charger [9]
 - Charger [9]
 - Charger [9]
 - Charger [9]
 - Charger [9]
 - Charger [9]
 - Charger [9]
 - Charger [9]
Captain Arlan Strangewayes [0(4)]
Journeyman Warcaster [0(4)]
 - Hunter [11]


My opponent is playing his Aiakos2 list, I do not think is an unwinnable matchup, but it is not great for him. His warjacks having hyperaggressive means that I can only get one or two shots before they are on my face.

Cryx Army - 75 / 75 points
[Theme] Infernal Machines

(Aiakos 2) Captain Aiakos [+29]
 - Deathjack [23]
 - Defiler [8]
 - Defiler [8]
 - Reaper [13]
 - Reaper [13]
 - Seether [13]
 - The Withershadow Combine [9]
Warwitch Siren [4]
Warwitch Siren [4]
Bile Thralls (min) [9]

2. Pre-game thoughts

  1. This is a new list and this will be my second game with it, is mostly about learning the strengths and weaknesses. 
  2. Going first would be great since I would get to run all my stuff forward so that my opponent would have to choose between coming to the shooting gallery or giving me the scenario.
  3. Going second would not be bad either: having access to mage sight means that I can keep most of my force safe behind forests and the wall will save me from being pulled.
  4. The scenario is going to be complicated, I do not want to engage in melee but I also don't want to give it up, I need to attrition as much as I can before the scenario is relevant.

3. Rounds:

Turn 0:
I win the roll to go first and I take it, I will run everything forward and force him to enter my ranges.

My opponent chooses a side with a wall and forests, the forests are going to help me more than him.

Turn 1:

I run all my chargers forward, He can always drag two of my jacks, but losing a Charger on the right side would not be bad if it means that the other 4 can kill two heavies.
I feel that the Hunter is not as important as a Charger since the Hunter will not benefit from feat and the Charger does more damage anyways. Therefore it runs forward to be the target of his attacks.
I do not know where to put Arcane Shield, probably should have gone on Ace, but I feel that Ryan and Watts are more important right now and it goes on them. Ace Infiltrates so that he and Caine have stealth.

Top of 1, Everything runs forward.


My opponent considers what to do, he feels that there is not one safe spot on his side of the board, other than 18 inches away from my chargers, which would mean giving me most of the scenario. He runs Aiakos to the side with only 3 chargers and tries to block LOS with a medium base. Aiakos is camping 4.

He drags the Hunter and easily kills it.

He also runs a witch (which I have painted for him) behind a wall to threaten my right chargers.

Bottom of 1, He has dragged a Hunter and killed it, but Aikos is in a bad spot.

Turn 2:

Even though he has blocked LOS with a medium base, thanks to Mage Sight I can see through the forest. This turn I will feat and I will get 6 boosted rat 9s and pow 15s onto Aiakos, who is a 15/15 with 17ish boxes.

I get 1 from the Squire, I allocate 3 to the left chargers, I allocate one to another Charger.

My first activation is to have Arlan allocate to one more Charger, in case things go wrong, and the assassination plan begins.

I feat, Caine casts Mage Sight to clip Aiakos and also gets to kill two grunts to get synergy up to 1, Watts can kill another one but Ryan is far from everything, Synergy is up to 2.

That's ok, Ace can aim to rat 11 and boost a shot at the witch behind the wall, def 17, he hits, kills her and get synergy to 3.

Leftmost Charger aims, rat 11, hits Aiakos twice and does some damage, the t second charger goes, walks, rat 9 and successfully hits Aiakos twice, he is out of focus and I still have a Charger left. It activates and finishes the job on the first shot.

Victory for Cygnar!


4. Post-game:

The matchup was bad for my opponent, if he had kept Aiakos back, I can kill most of his troops and probably 3ish of his jacks, at that point he is also down on attrition.

I would have liked to play the game for attrition, see how much can this list deal with, I guess it will have to be on my next game.

No comments:

Post a Comment